Sunday 23 August 2015

Episode 1/Chapter 6: What, If Our Dreams Come True!

Chapter 6

The break-thru came during the seventh month. I seemed to be having some visceral connection with the number seven in my life.

One day, when it was about to get dark, I followed the sadhu like a shadow into the hills. Now, I was also more familiar with his usual route and the following him was less arduous. After some distance into the hills, I saw something very strange.  There was a massive tall rock and the sadhu suddenly climbed the near- vertical rock with ease like a lizard, only to disappear from the top. I couldn’t clone his performance; the rock was vertical, slippery and there was hardly anything to hold on to. ‘But, how could he do it?’

I looked around for a solution. I found some thick roots of trees hanging loose from above in another corner of the rock. Holding those roots and hoping that it wouldn’t come off the ground, I slowly climbed step by step between smaller rocks. In some places I slipped, but I managed to hold on. My feet and hands ached. I scratched my skin all over and bruised myself. After some strenuous climbing, I managed to reach a plateau where I rested for a while before I continued my climb. The route was circuitous, but I reached the top of the steep rock. The sadhu was nowhere in sight.

I was crestfallen at not being able to catch the sadhu. I was equally horrified being left alone in the darkness of such a wild place. Darkness and silence frightened me. The humming sound coming from insects was the only noise I heard and even this noise was frightening. Some insects crawled over me. I jumped screaming and shook violently to shrug them off. In the small shimmering light from the sky, I saw a snake disappearing into a small hole. My heart pounded heavily and I started shivering and perspiring.

When I steadied myself after some time, I looked through the darkness to find out where the sadhu could have disappeared. He was nowhere.

It was cold on top of the rock. Some animal, could be a wolf, howled and it terrified me. I blamed myself for coming here. I sat on a small rock trying to recoup some energy. Sudden unsettling sounds from the different corners of the darkness froze my blood repeatedly. I trembled violently. My breathing became quite hard. My knees turned weak and starting caving in. Quite suddenly, I felt like throwing up.

Then, all of a sudden, I saw the sadhu, moving swiftly between a few bushes. There was a sudden rush of blood all over me and I felt excited. I jumped from my seat, quick on my feet and rushed behind him, only to bang my head against another rock in the darkness. I yelled in excruciating pain. Rubbing vigorously my forehead with one hand, I made quick strides to follow the sadhu.

‘It is either now or never.’ I decided. The sadhu was moving with lightning speed and again, I was no match for him. Then he disappeared again behind another rock.

When I reached that spot, I saw nothing – there was no place to disappear.

‘Is he a magician or a witch?’

I had heard stories of some mysterious people practicing witchcraft luring and trapping children from decent families only to be given away as ‘bali’ (sacrifice) at the altar of the fearful Kali (a feminine form of God). These human sacrifices were invariably done during midnight only, I had been told. Some mysterious ‘raappaadi’s (night singers) visited residential areas, only at midnight, singing queer verses in frightening voices. I recalled the story of one young boy from my village, who was lured behind a ‘raappaadi’ after being mesmerized, during odd hours at midnight. The boy was in shambles when he was rescued after several days. Some fearful tales had been told to me that a few kids never returned back to the village as they were given away as human sacrifice at the cremation grounds. The people who practiced witchcraft, I was told, prepared some black paste from the remains of the skulls of those sacrificed bodies to perform black magic and lure more kids. Some people used these black magicians and witchcraft to take revenge on others. To what extent these stories were true, I never knew.

The thought about black magic and witchcraft, once again chilled my spine. ‘Is the sadhu one such wicked magician?’

Then I reasoned to myself  that  if the sadhu ever wanted to exploit me for any of his wicked intentions, he had plenty of opportunities during the last six months, but he never harmed me in any way.

‘May be, he is preparing me for a grand sacrifice, yet to be made!’ I once again shuddered at the thought.

I stared at the rock as though I had the power to pierce through it. It pained my eyes.

But what a surprise! I was dumfounded to notice a small slit under the huge rock. What lay beyond I couldn’t guess. I dared not to find. I vacillated. My heart pumped faster, hands and feet trembled, stomach churned, and, deep inside, something told me to run away as fast as I could.

But I didn’t.

I approached the slit and narrowing my eyes, stealthily peeped through the slit focusing on what was on the other side. After some painful moments I could notice a small descent behind the slit. Kneeling down, I squeezed myself in through the narrow slit, moved down crawling, twisting my body at a few places and soon I found myself on a flight of stairs going down. It looked like a cave and now I had sufficient space to sit inside. With great alacrity, I slowly descended, taking every step with trepidation. After a few steps, I was on a small level ground from where I could see some small light in one corner. It looked like an entrance to another cave.

I slowly crawled towards the second cave. The entrance was narrow. Carefully, I stepped inside. What I saw therein was hair-raising and spine chilling and I stood there in great bewilderment! How would I describe it!

There, in front of a small lamp, I saw the sadhu sitting on a stone, like Lord Siva sitting in tapas posture, in very deep meditation. I thought I saw Lord Siva himself – Lord Siva with a high rising jada mudi (matted hair), his legs in Padmasan, the right hand in ‘abhaya mudra’ (indicating his readiness to protect those who take refuge in Him) and the left hand holding the thrishul. I felt a powerful radiation around the sadhu. A circle of glowing light above his head illuminated the roof of the cave. I felt a million lightning all at once landing on me. I trembled violently and fell to the ground. I didn’t know what happened after that.

*****

No comments:

Post a Comment