Thursday 13 August 2015

Episode 1/Chapter 5: What, If Our Dreams Come True! An Uncommon Meeting with Lord Siva

Chapter 5
Every now and then, the thoughts about the sadhu distracted me. Sometimes I felt haunted, other times troubled and often curious. One morning, I decided to take the plunge. ‘Why not I dare the sadhu and question him?’

I trekked to Chithira Sabhai. Not finding him there, I decided to while away my time and wait for him. The entire afternoon passed and he was not in sight. I waited till the evening and darkness was setting in. Depressed, I decided to get back.

I was hungry as I had not eaten anything during the day. Nothing was available to eat. I was now used to very flexible eating habits and was quite accustomed to starving. Many people observed fasting on a number of days for religious reasons and on those days, even I had to observe fasting out of compulsion. So, eating or not eating anything on a particular day didn’t make any significant difference to me. I decided to ignore my hunger and take a small walk on the narrow road leading to the Five Falls. There was a small diversion on the left leading to Chitraruvi (The Small Falls) located at an elevation and then further to Shenbagadevi Falls and Thenaruvi (Honey Falls). People walked to these waterfalls in groups, especially on Full Moon days to worship Goddess Shenbagadevi. The hill side was known for the fragrance of its shenbaga flowers and hence the name for the waterfalls. I ignored the diversion and walked ahead towards Five Falls. The hillock on my left was covered by dense forest and on my right, the land was sloping down, covered by coconut groves and standing paddy crops. Not many braved to live near the hillside unless they could be friendly with wild animals.

On my way, in the dark corners of the hills, I saw someone in saffron clothing moving behind a cluster of dense trees, at the far end. Out of curiosity, I sidestepped the road, wanting to go after him and doubled up my strides. I was sure it must be the same sadhu.

The sadhu moved swiftly into the hills and the nearby woods. He was at one place one time, disappeared mysteriously, only to reappear in another dark corner. ‘How is he able to do that?’ I wondered. I was no match for him for his speed, but I kept following him. It was darker now and I had considerable difficulty in keeping pace with him. The slopes, the bushes, the small rocks and stones were tough on me. I slipped in many places bruising myself in the process. The sadhu went deeper and deeper into the woods and I lost track of him. After some time, I got exhausted and gave up.

I was in the center of the woods and darkness. I was nervous and scared as I struggled to find my way back.
*****
I made enquiries about the sadhu in the neighborhood, but none seemed to know much about him personally. Many believed that he had extraordinary mystical powers and had performed miracles in the lives of many people – some were cured of diseases, some got rid of financial problems, some had children, some got married and so on. The same story about him again.

‘He ought to be a Siddha,’ someone told me. I had already learnt that Siddhas were there everywhere in the entire range of Podhigai hills and that they were mystics, seemingly living for ever, – may be hundreds of years -  possessing extraordinary powers, and presenting themselves at different places at the same time. Many were revered a lot and many were feared. People advised me to be cautious and be wary of the dangerous Sadhus.

My curiosity heightened and I was now determined to confront him.  ‘Why was he avoiding me, when he was the one wanting me to meet him at Chithira Sabhai?” I needed to get some answers.

Somehow, my next several attempts to meet with him at Chithira Sabhai failed, as though he planned it that way.

‘Is he punishing me for not waiting for him to open his eyes when I first sighted him inside Chithra Sabhai?’

On some occasions I thought I spotted him and with the resolution I followed him into the woods. But he always seemed to have a knack of disappearing mysteriously from my sight into darkness. Besides, I was also scared of the woods, hills, and darkness and I couldn’t stretch myself beyond a point.

Six months passed by and the sadhu was still elusive to me, as he continued to play ‘hide and seek’ with me.

My life became more a routine now. A school offered me a part time job to teach small children and I gladly accepted the assignment. It improved my cash flow.
*****



No comments:

Post a Comment